This afternoon we are to the hospital for some doctor order test, a sonogram of her gall bladder and her carotid arteries. My prayer is that both are negative as we have yet to find out why she was dangerously anemic. She had to receive 2 units of blood. So my brothers and sisters your prayers will be most appreciated.
And thanks to our host elect hrmjustin for letting me know this group even existed. I will keep all of you in my prayers as well as the whole DU community.
1. We are firmly in favor of the separation of church and state. It is one of the basic protections for all of us.
2. We believe that it is acceptable to share beliefs and non-beiefs respectfully on DU and elsewhere.
3. Some of us find Satanic and flying spaghetti displays humorous.
4. A few of us were once agnostics or atheists and have since become theists.
5. There are far more progressive theists then you realize. Just as the extremely vocal atheist drowned out the ones who are live and let live, so too, are we drowned out by the screaming RWRNJs (right wing religious nut jobs).
6. This theist is not interested in proselytizing or being proselytized.
7. Theism is not is not a conservative phenomenon; there are politically liberal theists libertarian theists, and other theists who could not reasonable be described as liberal.
8. Theists are not universally homophobic, racists or generally hate filled humans.
9. There are good and bad theists just as there are good and bad atheists. This is the human condition. People have been killed in the name of god and in the name of a godless state. To argue that either as the basis of morality is disingenuous at best.
10. Most theists are not interested in denying free speech as it is a fundamental right and protection of all. That said it would be helpful to all if the discussions did not devolve into logical fallacies.
Taken all together I wish that atheists and theists at DU would stop seeing each other as enemies but rather, as people of differing opinions who happen to be fundamentally linked by other perhaps more important things.
I posted this in my journal in DU 2-an excerpt from House of Spirits. I want it in my DU3 journal so here goes.
Salvador Allende of Chile, the legitimately elected president of that country was deposed and killed by a US backed coup lead by Pinochet. Allendes cousin, Isabel Allende, is a novelist living in California. Her first novel is The House of Spirits. I believe this is a fictionalization of the coup that destroyed her family, home and country, and she has wisdom for us.
This first quote is of Miguel the revolutionary lover of Alba the granddaughter of conservative Senator Trueba. Alba is so excited because the left won the election and their man is to be president--
Weve won, but now well have to defend our victory, Miguel to Alba.
Meanwhile at the headquarters of the Conservative Senator Trueba:
Its one thing to win an election and quite another to be President, Senator Trueba said mysteriously to his weary co-religionists.
The shock of losing the election did paralyze the Conservatives for long. Used to working in secret even while they had long held power they mapped out their plans and so:
Following the election the senator
headed to a country house on the outskirts of the city, where a secret lunch was held. There he met with other politicians, a group of military men, and gringos sent by their intelligence service to map a strategy for bringing down the new government: economic destabilization, as they called their sabotage.
Back to the victors:
While the people were celebrating their victory, letting their hair and beards grow, addressing each other as compãnero, rescuing forgotten folklore and native crafts, and exercising their new power in lengthy meetings where everyone spoke at once and never agreed on anything, the right was carrying out a series o strategic actions designed to tear the economy to shreds and discredit the government. The controlled the influential mass media and possessed nearly limitless financial resources, as well as the support of the gringos, who had allocated secret funds for the program of sabotage. Within a few months the results could be seen. For the first time in their lives, people had enough money to cover their basic needs and to buy a few things they always wanted, but now they were unable to do so because the stores were nearly empty.
This story ends as it did in Chile. The economic destabilization did not bring down the government and so the Conservatives let the military do their thing. One problem is the military refused to let the Conservatives rule again. The armed forces suppressed the right as well as the left.
Im not saying that this is where our country is headed but we need to be vigilant. Ive been reading posts of people discontented with our present government. Suck it up! To quote the Rolling Stones- You cant always get what you want but if you try with the help of your friends you get what you need. (or something like that).
We are in danger of growing hair and beards and never agreeing on anything while the enemy cooks up their plans to destroy us.