Much had changed since President John F. Kennedy had been shot to death beside her in Dallas in 1963 and she had returned to Washington in her bloodstained clothes.
Even so, the thought of seeing the White House again was painful, she wrote first lady Pat Nixon in January 1970. I have returned to Washington only to visit Arlington, the national cemetery where her husband was buried.
I know that time will make things easier, she wrote. And that one day, when they and I are older, I must take Caroline and John back to the places where they lived with their father. But that wont be for a while.
Nixon is obviously controversial and was most certainly crooked. Still, this was an act of compassion and kindness. I found the whole story extremely touching. (This was published today but it wasn't breaking news. Figured this was an "other article"?)
I always loved the song. I heard it the other day and it struck me how much this can be a reflection on the struggle by our Democrat leaders and politicians over the past 4 years. The "tired of lying" line was particularly poignant.
I have no idea if this has been discussed in the media or on here. I have been so busy with family, work and trying to keep up with the current situation. It's possible I missed this but I feel that I must post this.
It is INARGUABLE that Trump and his enablers knowingly risked lives by encouraging yesterday. The Republicans today who weaved lies about antifa and democrat conspiracy are just as complicit.
I am talking about covid people.
Statistically speaking, there were some people present yesterday who already were infected and there are many who became infected. They will spread the virus to innocent family members, friends and acquaintances. Some of those involved yesterday will die. Some of their cherished loved ones will die. Some of those faceless (and some we now know) people who dared to attack our democracy will die.
I am not being hyperbolic or histrionic. The covid transmission and mortality rates are clear. People WILL die as a result of yesterday. It was after all the ultimate super spreader event where emotions were so high that logic and reason was non-existent.
Sure we can blame the people who participated in the actual assault but there is a much larger and more tragic reality: it was encouraged and promoted by elected government officials. They ALL knew this would happen but their personal agenda meant more. Their political future meant more than the stability of our nation and the lives of their own supporters. They were treated like cannon fodder in a meaningless war meant to save face and nothing more.
For this reason alone they should be removed from office and prosecuted. Toss them into a disgusting cell. Feed them the slop that prisoners experience every single day. I include Cruz and Hawley in this. I include all of the Republicans who attempted to sabotage this election.
Insurrection is Undemocratic, Anti American and Illegal. Encouraging death and disease? That is PSYCOPATHIC.
I supported the Mass Health reform of 2006. I was pissed off that he opposed same sex marriage and it required the Supreme court to make Massachusetts the first state to allow same sex marriage in the United States. I was pissed when he encouraged and supported the federal marriage amendment. I was disgusted and livid when he shifted his previous support of abortion rights that he professed for more than a decade.
There is more but that being said, all politics and posturing aside, he nailed it tonight. Some may say it was politics or posturing. I disagree because his eyes told what he felt. Even though I may be called naive or stupid, I am going to raise one up to my former governor. We rarely agreed on much but it was obvious to me that you meant every word. Those applauds were well deserved Mitt.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez recently inspired fresh debate over the hoariest of institutions, the Electoral College. "Every vote should be = in America," she tweeted, "no matter who you are and where you come from. The right thing to do is establish a Popular Vote. & GOP will do everything they can to fight it."
On cue, Republican Rep. Dan Crenshaw protested: "Abolishing the Electoral College means the politicians will only campaign in (and listen to) urban areas. That is not a representative democracy. We live in a Republic, which means 51% of the population doesn't get to boss around the other 49%."
In Crenshaw's world, apparently, democracy works better when the 49% chooses for the other 51%. Indeed, The New York Times' Nate Cohen calculates, President Donald Trump could win reelection in 2020 "while losing the national vote by as much as five percentage points."
This is an extremely important issue. This opinion piece from USA Today handles it expertly.
Source: NBC News
As the protest died down, about 30 demonstrators linked arms and sat in the facilitys parking lot entrances to block staff from leaving or entering, Anthony said. The group was peacefully protesting when seemingly out of nowhere a man in a pick-up truck drove towards them, slowing down just before hitting the crowd, footage of the incident shows. The video then shows the driver continuing to drive through the crowd, as protesters scream and try to get away from the car.
Anthony described the interaction that took place just before 10 p.m. on Wednesday as terrifying, saying the brazen act" shows the driver of truck believed he is "beyond reproach. She said several people suffered non-life threatening injuries from the incident, and some were brought to a local hospital, including an elderly protester whose leg was fractured during the incident. She also added a father was in the crowd with his three children.
Read more: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1042716
I am so ashamed of my state. We have been blue for decades but this incident proves that there are right-wing crazy nut jobs always waiting in the background. They are ready to just disrupt, destroy and kill if necessary.
This is completely unacceptable in the president is complicit.
I am not talking about our political system and government. Everyone already knows that is broken and it doesnt matter the party affiliation.
I was reading the thread and related article regarding the 23 year old American citizen Francisco Galicia who is suing ICE and Customs and Border Patrol for depriving him of his rights and liberty. It occured to me that shouldn't I be protesting loudly in the street? This is a young man who was victimized for no other reason than his skin color. As terrible as that is, there are children, actual little boys and girls who are in the exact same situation. They have no proper clothes, beds, blankets, adequate food, soap and toothbrushes. Some of our enemies from previous wars treated our captured soldiers better than we are treating these children. Yet why are we not protesting? We occupied Wall Street and many other cities 8 years ago for reasons quite frankly far less abhorrent and dire. Make no mistake wealth Inequality, corporate corruption and predatory business/banking practices are of great concern. It is an issue that must be addressed. We managed to engage in civil disobedience to disrupt and annoy in protest over those issues. We did so in tremendous numbers but where are we now?
Surely the treatment of these men, women and children must generate more outrage. These kids are dying. They are living in feces with no access to the basic necessities. Why are we so stagnant in light of these facts? I include myself in this. I just dont understand. We are all outraged over this. I know I am.
Shouldnt our response be greater? Am I wrong in feeling we are somehow broken?
Here is the article that sparked this post. Thanks for reading.
The smell of fireworks permeate the air. That scent of sulfur and saltpeter from the blackpowder. I love it so much. The house will smell like this all night into the morning. Walking outside I can hear the explosions from every direction. Homeowners firing their purchases. The district's and towns surrounding us performing their displays.
Even though we live in difficult and trying times. Even though we have a sociopath in office with a complicit Senate, I can set aside all that to enjoy the general feeling of happiness, family and friendship that I hear from my neighbors. I feel the joy and relaxation. Tomorrow or the next day we will all feel as we did yesterday but right now everyone around me is content. They are enjoying the sounds and sights of explosions in the air. Their noses full of that carbon and sulfur.
Tonight I will go to sleep with some peace. I know our history is tragic but some parts are wonderous. Some parts we should celebrate. I think about those times tonight... with fireworks in my ears, in my nose.
My 3 year old daughter is looking out the window at the rain this morning. She turns and says okay and proceeds to walk over to me. She says "Dad, I have made a choice. Tomorrow when it stops raining I am going to go see animals. Do you want to go with me? Oh and the playground too?"
It was so adorable. She wasnt being demanding. She just decided that she was going to the zoo tomorrow and wanted me to go with her lol. How could I say no?
Profile InformationMember since: Fri Jul 4, 2014, 02:09 PM
Number of posts: 3,433